Wednesday 14 June 2017

Minimalism, to what end?



Packing your life into a suitcase to move to a new city, what an adventure. Letting go of all the past baggage to start afresh. Creating a new identity for yourself so you can be who you want to be. Avoiding past mistakes. Sounds great...on paper. No one tells you what that really entails.

It's that time in my life again where I have to pack up what I have to start anew. Five years goes by way too fast. The opportunity came faster than my fiance and I had anticipated. But we knew it was the right time.

Sometimes it's hard to let go of good things: relationships, people, your home, and your stuff. I believe that you have to constantly let go in order to go with the flow. If you didn't how could you ever progress. You need to let go of the old in order to make space for the new.  As one of my favourite YouTubers, Lilly Singh always says, "live outside of your comfort zone." This is definitely not easy.

Now, the whole point of this post. Minimalism. It's trending right now. I've consistently tried to downsize my things during the past year. I thought packing was going to be a no biggie. Boy, was I wrong.

You never know how much you have until you try to stuff it into a suit case. I was appalled at how much I had. How embarrassing. I really had to sit and think about what was meaningful and useful for me to have. This was incredibly difficult, I felt like I had failed at minimalism. We had to store a bunch of things at his mom's place. All the furniture had to be given away.

I know that I still need to drastically downsize. Having so much stuff to the point of worry of where to store it is a telltale sign you've got way too much. How terrible. Our time and energy is precious and I don't want to waste it on things that truly don't matter anymore. 

I want to surround myself with things that add value to my life. Art is something that brightens and sparks my creative spirit. Rest assured that my inspirational goddesses from thisthatandthese and breathtakingly beautiful paintings from Mo'ology ended up in my suitcase! 

I look forward to starting my next chapter in our new town. We have visions of a nice, clear home. A peaceful sanctuary to rest, as it should be. I want to let go of all the necessary things holding me back in life. So that I may let all that truly matters in. I can't wait to consistently go back into my spiritual practice. Meditation will help me fill my empty void.

Let the journey to minimalism start: the unburdening of the mind, body, and soul.

What does minimalism mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment